I’m not about to bury the lede: My gritty urban fantasy novel BORROWED SOULS has been sold to Skyhorse Publishing, with Cory Allyn editing, and I’m crazy excited.
About this time last year I started telling friends about a new novel I was working on. It was gritty fantasy centered on a heroine with real-life problems. I promised blue-collar characters and a man on a motorcycle. I wanted a tale with magic used in a way you hadn’t read before. What really caught my critique partners’ and agent’s attentions, though, was when I told them I wasn’t writing a YA novel.
I wrote a novel with all my favorite things: big problems, real characters, magic, mystery and a whole lot of mayhem. That story became BORROWED SOULS.
And I’m proud to announce it will be released in Spring 2017 through Skyhorse Publishing.
Wait, that requires caps lock:
I SOLD AN URBAN FANTASY NOVEL.
MY BOOK WILL BE OUT NEXT YEAR.
YOU WILL LOVE IT*.
* Provided you like gritty urban fantasy. This is for fans of Patricia Briggs, Lilith Saintcrow, and Stacia Kane. If you loved Jessica Jones on Netflix, read this book.
Here’s what to expect from BORROWED SOULS:
A young woman with a brother who can’t stay out of trouble dives head first into the grimy world of soul renting in this action-packed and sexy urban fantasy debut.
Callie Delgado always puts family first, and unfortunately her brother knows it. She’s emptied her savings, lost work, and spilled countless tears trying to keep him out of trouble, but now he’s in deeper than ever, and his debt is on Callie’s head. She’s given a choice: do some dirty work for the mob, or have her brother returned to her in tiny pieces.
Renting souls is big business for the religious population of Gem City. Those looking to take part in immoral—or even illegal—activity can borrow someone else’s soul, for a price, and sin without consequence.
To save her brother, Callie needs a borrowed soul, but she doesn’t have anywhere near the money to pay for it. The slimy Soul Charmer is willing to barter, but accepting his offer will force Callie into a dangerous world of magic she isn’t ready for.
With the help of the guarded but undeniably attractive Derek—whose allegiance to the Charmer wavers as his connection to Callie grows—she’ll have to walk a tight line, avoid pissing off the bad guys, all while struggling to determine what her loyalty to her family’s really worth.
Losing her brother isn’t an option. Losing her soul? Maybe.
Win Awesome Books
Anyone who knows me—either on the author side or from Vampire Book Club—knows I like to giveaway books when I have good news. And this book deal = EPIC giveaway. As in 15 books. 5 of them signed. 3 not yet released (three aren’t in the photo on the right, but will get mailed to the winner).
- ARC of Allegiance of Honor by Nalini Singh
- ARC of Breath of Earth by Beth Cato
- Signed copy of Thorn Jack by Katherine Harbour
- ARC of Shadow Rider by Christine Feehan
- Signed copy of The Warrior Vampire by Kate Baxter
- Signed copy of Gideon by Alex Gordon
- Chaos Choreography by Seanan McGuire
- The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
- Edge of Worlds by Martha Wells
- Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes
- Signed copy of The Talon of the Hawk by Jeffe Kennedy
- Bitter Bite by Jennifer Estep
- Signed copy of The Winter King by C.L. Wilson
- The Single Undead Mom’s Club by Molly Harper
- Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Wells
Fill out the Rafflecopter form below to enter. Joining my mailing list will get you bonus entries, updates on when you can pre-order BORROWED SOULS, and great giveaways and excerpts from other author friends’ books. (And zero spam, because I’m not an asshole.)